Wednesday, January 30, 2008

HIDING FROM THE MAGIC HAT


Those who know me recognize I have a strong aversion to the use of animals in acts like circuses or magic tricks, no tolerance for exploitation or abuse of any kind. Hence this piece was sprung. I thought I would make a piece that was colorful, with a sense of joy that illustrates the courage and skill the rabbit achieved to hide from the dreaded magic hat. Successful in his quest he sits quietly, somewhat timidly, yet happily, never to be found, never to enter that magic hat again. Aware of a safe moment, he scurries away using his own magic powers, disappearing into a new adventure where he will seek happier turf.

HIDING FROM THE MAGIC HAT is a perfect hide out of handcrafted paper, pounded aluminum wire, square nail, domino, beads, street cleaner bristles, augmented print from an original I painted of an arctic rabbit and other found objects. (click on photo for larger image)

No comments: