Tuesday, January 29, 2008

THE TINDER BOX


This piece, THE TINDER BOX, was also a part of the Bainbridge Arts and Crafts BOXES show that I mentioned in my previous post.
It really speaks for itself. The structure starts with a hinged lidded wooden box with added elements I hammered from aluminum sheeting. I then made the roof, again, using hammered aluminum sheeting, pins, beads, on the peak made of foam core and handmade paper crowned with a finial made with a lipstick case and hammered aluminum wire to represent a chimney and smoke. It stands on stilts of porcelain insulators. The surprise inside, as you see in the photo below, is a small box I handcrafted using thin strips of cedar, added straw for tinder and a match. You can see how it fuels it's own voice. (click on photos for larger images)

No comments: