Friday, February 8, 2008

THE ROCK COLLECTOR


My assemblage work started by creating them under glass within frames. This piece is one of a few that grew from my creating them freestanding in a 3D, sculptural fashion. I've always loved and collected rocks and I thought it would be fun to make a piece that depicted the dwelling of a rock collector. Are the rocks on display or are they about to take over the house as it swells and they all spill out?

When I went to photograph this piece I loved the way the light was coming through the back of it so I decided to do one shot of it this way . . . this is the result.

The 3D work has since evolved into using larger dimensions in every direction which, of course, increased the size of the pieces.

THE ROCK COLLECTOR consists of handcrafted paper, small pebbles, mica, metal street cleaner bristles, hammered aluminum sheeting, beads and whatnot. (click on photo for larger image)

No comments: